Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lex's famous Barbeque

Now, this is my dad's one and only famous recipe - but it's a good one and he definitely can make it the best. I think most people call them "sloppy joe's", but we grew up calling them "barbeque's" so that's what I named it. They are best served with homemade french fries ( I will post the recipe), and homemade fry sauce.

1 lb. ground beef
Brown with 1/2 -1 onion, chopped - depending if you like lots of onions or not.
season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and season salt.
Then add:
1 sm can tomato sauce
3/4-1 c. HEINZ ketchup (yes the brand does make a difference!! it is a sin in my family to taint the meat with lesser brands!!!) - we judge the amount by taste
2 T. vinegar
2-3 T. brown sugar (again start small and add later)
1 t. ground mustard
1-2 T. worcestershire sauce
Simmer all together and let all the flavors blend, taste and check for seasoning and flavor and add more of anything until it tastes just right....If the mixture is too runny add flour a tablespoon at a time until it thickens up. I like to top mine with a slice of cheese. My husband also adds pickles onto his.

No comments:

THE SEARCH IS ON!!!!!

Share with us all! If you have any recipes you would like me to post or try, email them to me: amber.lamb@yahoo.com . Thanks for sharing your kitchens with me! Happy cooking!

Click on the link to recieve email updates when I post new recipes!!!!