Monday, November 24, 2008

My mom's Brownie Cake


This cake was famous when I was growing up. Whenever we were invited to parties this was what my mom brought almost always! She makes it the best, and it is one of the first recipes that I learned how to make. It is a cakey brownie, not a dense one. Light and fluffy, with rich chocolately frosting. The above picture was during Easter time and I had added some coconut (died green with food coloring) and a chocolate egg for decoration....



2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 sticks margarine (i use butter)
1 c. cold water
3 T. baking cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk( if you don't have buttermilk, you can "make" your own by adding 1/2 T. vinegar to 1/2 c. regular milk)
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla

Sift flour and sugar together in large bowl and set aside. Put butter, water, and cocoa in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add to flour/sugar mixture, beat well. Add eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Grease and flour a large cookie sheet. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes. 5 minutes before cake is done, make frosting.

Frosting:
1 stick butter
3 T. baking cocoa
6 T. milk
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 T. vanilla
Put butter, cocoa, and milk in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix and pour over cake immediately after removing cake from oven.

No comments:

THE SEARCH IS ON!!!!!

Share with us all! If you have any recipes you would like me to post or try, email them to me: amber.lamb@yahoo.com . Thanks for sharing your kitchens with me! Happy cooking!

Click on the link to recieve email updates when I post new recipes!!!!