Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Candied Walnut Salad with Honey Red Wine Vinaigrette







Nothing like a refreshing, fallish salad. This is the one I made for Thanksgiving this year. I found the recipe on my new favorite recipe blog: "Our best bites". (see link on the side of this blog)


Candied Walnut Salad
2 heads of leafy greens; 1 can be a bag of spinach (I like 1 bag of spinach and a head of Romaine or just 2 heads of Romaine)
3/4 c. Craisins
2 crisp apples, cut into cubes and tossed with OJ
Orange juice (enough to toss apples in to prevent browning and add a little flavor)
2 oz. blue cheese or Gorgonzola (I prefer Gorgonzola; it's milder, but harder to find and more expensive), cut into small chunks
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/4 c. sugar

Add the walnuts and the sugar to a small saute pan over medium low heat. Stir constantly until sugar melts and coats the nuts. (you know you are done when the sugar turns a light golden color. Transfer nuts to a plate lined with wax paper and let cool. Add all other ingredients to a salad bowl and toss lightly. cover with candied walnuts. Top with honey red wine viniagrette.


Honey Red Wine Vinaigrette
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. honey
1-2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped (really, that's pretty optional; it all goes in the blender)
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 c. canola oil


Mix together in blender and top salad just before serving.

No comments:

THE SEARCH IS ON!!!!!

Share with us all! If you have any recipes you would like me to post or try, email them to me: amber.lamb@yahoo.com . Thanks for sharing your kitchens with me! Happy cooking!

Click on the link to recieve email updates when I post new recipes!!!!