Thursday, January 17, 2008

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I love "oriental" food of all kinds...Chinese, Japanese, etc, etc. This is the best lettuce wrap that I have ever made - hope you enjoy it too! Almost gone.....They don't last very long!





1-2 heads Lettuce (iceberg works the best - but I have used romaine and it tasted really good too, just not as easy to wrap up!)
6 T. oil
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 cans water chestnuts - drained and chopped fine
8 oz mushrooms - chopped fine
6 T. chopped onion
2 t. minced garlic (I used 2 medium-ized cloves)
Shredded carrots

Saute onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add chicken and cook until chicken is almost cooked through, breaking up the chicken into smaller pieces with a spatula as it cooks. Add water chestnuts and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes. Then add the following sauce and cook for a couple of minutes:

4 T. soy sauce
4 T. brown sugar
1 t. rice wine vinegar

Separate the iceberg into big leaves and spoon chicken mixture inside and roll up like a burrito and enjoy! We like to dip ours in the following sauce:

Sweet and Sour dipping sauce:

1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. rice wine vinegar
2 T. ketchup (heinz is best!)
1 T. lemon juice
1/8 t. sesame oil
1 T. hot chinese style mustard (if this is hard to find, I use dijon mustard and it tastes fabulous!)
2 t. minced garlic
1 t. red chile paste (in the asian section of the grocery store)

*The recipe doesn't call for it, but I like to season my chicken with salt and pepper and garlic salt for some extra flavor. I also double the sauce recipe. This is very good with fried rice!

No comments:

THE SEARCH IS ON!!!!!

Share with us all! If you have any recipes you would like me to post or try, email them to me: amber.lamb@yahoo.com . Thanks for sharing your kitchens with me! Happy cooking!

Click on the link to recieve email updates when I post new recipes!!!!